After School Groups
The Young Women’s Resource Center holds After School Groups for participants in 5th to 12th grades in the Greater Des Moines area. These groups seek to foster a healthy body and mind by allowing girls to participate in a variety of hands-on activities.
(Fall 2021 After School Groups will meet in-person with face masks/coverings required. The 5th Grade group will meet virtually.)
The range of topics covered in these groups is large enough to compete with the number of issues that affect young women at any stage. By discussing things like body image, self-esteem, puberty and reproductive health, peer pressure, goal setting, and everything in between, the girls are able to equip themselves with the skills to live healthy and happy lives.
- body image
- puberty/reproductive health
- healthy relationships
- peer pressure
- self care
- goal setting & achievement
- healthy bodies/healthy minds
- family relationships
- dating violence
- guest speakers
- friendship bracelets
- girls store
- letter writing & card making
- making smoothies & cookies
- past field trips: Blank Park Zoo, Monkey Joe’s, Val Lanes bowling, Climb Iowa
- hula hooping
- tie-dye shirts
- hygiene kits
5th grade group, 6th grade group, 7th grade group, 8th grade group, HS group
Fall Time, Day & Facilitator:
- 5th grade (virtual): Tuesdays/Martes, 3:15 – 4:45 p.m. | Facilitated by Jessica
- 6th grade: Thursdays/Jueves, 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Jessica
- 7th grade: Mondays/Lunes, 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Chelsea
- 8th grade: Mondays/Lunes, 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Elhondra
- High School: Wednesday/Miercoles, 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Elhondra
- Black Girl Magic (8th – 10th grades): Thursday/Jueves, 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Chelsea
- Feminists United Now (FUN) / Fecha Y Horario se Determinara Pronto (9th – 12th grades): Day and time TBD/Día y hora por determinar | Facilitated by Frieda
- Mariposa (7th – 10th grades): Wednesday/Miercoles: 4 – 5:30 p.m. | Facilitated by Irma
To register for an After School Group, please complete the following registration form below.
All groups are filled on a first come, first served basis until the group reaches capacity. Facilitator will contact you when your form is received. / Todos los grupos se llenan por orden de llegada hasta que el grupo alcanza su capacidad. El líder se comunicará con usted cuando reciba su formulario.
If you have any questions or need assistance please contact [email protected]. or call the YWRC at 515.244.4901. / Si tiene alguna pregunta o necesita ayuda, comuníquese [email protected] o llame al YWRC al 515.244.4901.
Black Girl Magic is a group for black girls to discover and celebrate their culture and roots. This group explores the ways in which their Blackness shapes life experiences.
Connections is an all year long, continuous educational program focused on issues such as anger management and impulse control. Connections is an ongoing therapeutic group.
Mariposa, meaning “butterfly,” is a weekly after school group designed exclusively for Latina young women in middle and high schools throughout Des Moines.