Young Moms group is tailored to provide parenting education and support in a peer-to-peer setting. It’s a place for young moms to come together, build relationships with people with similar experiences and learn practical skills for parenting. Young Moms are encouraged to spend time with others who know what they are going through and the group provides a place for mutual support. Young Moms are provided with education on a wide variety of topics, as well as resources and services that may be available to them.
- continuing education & employment
- developmental ages & stages
- discipline & punishment
- crying & temper tantrums
- healthy & unhealthy relationships
- self-esteem & child rearing
- importance of playing, reading & interaction with child
- Life Skills: cooking healthy meals, stretching food dollars, budgeting, medical care, first-aid & CPR, going to doctor vs. emergency room, financial literacy
- meal prep & cooking
- outings to parks, swimming, walks & holiday activities
- on-site child care & meal provided
- guest speakers on informative topics
- making diaper wipes
- hair cut & “spa” nights
Any young mom up through age 24
Time & day
There are three different groups offered; young women can choose to come to one specific group throughout the week depending on their school or work schedule.
Mondays – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Wednesdays – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Join us for a night of fun at the 2021 Trunk N Treat event on Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 5 – 7 p.m. Registration is below. 2021 Trunk n Treat Flier PDF
The Young Women’s Resource Center holds weekly after school groups for young women in the Des Moines area in 5th through 12th grades. These groups explore a variety of topics such as body image, self-esteem, reproductive health and healthy relationships. They include hands-on activities, field trips, guest speakers and community service projects. (Groups are currently held online and meet in a virtual space. Project-specific activity kits are provided for participants.)
Tuesday, August 9 / 2 – 4:30 p.m. @ YWRC parking lot (818 5th Avenue, Des Moines 50309) Who: YWRC participants ages 10-24. This includes Empowerment participants, Counseling clients and Young Mom participants and their kiddos. Join us to celebrate the end of summer and beginning of a new school year at our annual Back […]