Young Moms group is tailored to provide parenting education and support in a peer-to-peer setting. It’s a place for young moms to come together, build relationships with people with similar experiences and learn practical skills for parenting. Young Moms are encouraged to spend time with others who know what they are going through and the group provides a place for mutual support. Young Moms are provided with education on a wide variety of topics, as well as resources and services that may be available to them.
- continuing education & employment
- developmental ages & stages
- discipline & punishment
- crying & temper tantrums
- healthy & unhealthy relationships
- self-esteem & child rearing
- importance of playing, reading & interaction with child
- Life Skills: cooking healthy meals, stretching food dollars, budgeting, medical care, first-aid & CPR, going to doctor vs. emergency room, financial literacy
- meal prep & cooking
- outings to parks, swimming, walks & holiday activities
- on-site child care & meal provided
- guest speakers on informative topics
- making diaper wipes
- hair cut & “spa” nights
Any young mom up through age 21
Time & day
There are three different groups offered; young women can choose to come to one specific group throughout the week depending on their school or work schedule.
Mondays – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Wednesdays – 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
The term doula comes from ancient Greek which means, “a woman who serves”. Today Birth Doulas provide practical, emotional, physical, spiritual and informational support. Birth doulas stand by their clients during pregnancy, birth and postpartum. Doulas aim to empower clients to have the birth they want, as well as have autonomy over their birth and body.
The Individual Support Program is designed to empower pregnant and parenting young moms to achieve independence through customized support and education.
Held at the Young Women’s Resource Center, the Pregnancy and Birth Support Group provides comprehensive pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum education for young women and their partners.